Blog - Meet the Maker - Textiles
I’m an artist and maker from southern Scotland, designing and hand printing bespoke textiles for interiors. My work focuses on the relationship between pattern & place; all of my designs are inspired by a particular location and aim to interpret...
- I am a textile artist and tutor, specialising in dye and print processes to create organic, layered and textural art textile pieces for exhibition, in addition to cap...
- What a fantastic array of makers we've had featured on our Meet the Maker blog this year. We've put together a round up for you with all of the wonderful advice our makers have given for creatives at any stage of their cre. . .
We have recently added some fantastic new books to the Handprinted shop and this one is no exception. Sarah Campbell's beautifully curated and inspirational book explores the art of painting and making patterns on fabric. Even just flicking through the pages. . .
- We've had some fantastic makers on our Meet the Maker blog this year and we absolutely love hearing the advice and words of encouragem. . .
- We are screen printers. We presume everyone knows that this is pushing ink through a mesh, which has a pattern on it, using a squeegee. In our case, the screen and squeegee are quite big! We print linen by the. . .
- Describe your printmaking process. I design and print fabric, mainly linens and hemp fabrics. I use wooden blocks which I carve using a CNC router. I love the heaviness of old Indian wooden blocks which you can load a thick layer of ink onto, I wanted to create my own versions of these. I first …
- My name is Rachel Winsper, I’m a pattern maker and hand printer based in South Staffordshire. I work from a small pink studio at home, surrounded by patterns and colours. I create handprinted wallpaper and decorative printed items for the home. Describe your printmaking process. Once I have an idea for a pattern, I like …
- My name is Sam, I own a clothing brand called Tens Studio and I am a textile designer and artist. My work explores the visibility of my heritage and Black British history through sustainable handcrafted textiles. Describe your dyeing process. I make natural dyes using food waste such as onion and avocado skins. I have … Continue reading "Meet the Maker: Tens Studio"
- Hi, we’re Ellen Wagner and Axel Roessler, we live in Frankfurt/Germany and share a passion for screen printing. Our screen printing studio “Print now – Riot later” was founded in 2014 in Tucson/Arizona, where we have lived and worked from 2014 – 2019. Having left the dusty desert behind us, we have been pursuing our … Continue reading "Meet the Maker: Print now-Riot later"
- I’m a print designer for interiors fabric. I have designed fabric, wallpaper and homewares collections, now selling online and through UK trade stockists. We are also just beginning to work with the U.S, which is exciting! I came to printing later in life having worked in retail, marketing and sales previously so it was … Continue reading "Meet the Maker: Zoe Glencross"
- We have had a huge selection of amazing printmakers for year’s Meet the Maker feature. Take a look through our 2019 list to remind yourself of our makers and catch up of those you may have missed. Start 2020 with a dose of inspiration by reading through all the advice given out from all our … Continue reading "Meet the Maker: 2019"
- My name is Tristan Sherwood and I’m an Art Lecturer and Printmaker based in Cornwall. Describe your printmaking process. I enjoy experimenting with many types of printmaking but relief-printing has become my chief mode of working. I really like the tension of the cutting tool against the surface. I find the nature of relief appealing, … Continue reading "Meet the Maker: Tristan Sherwood"
- I’m a graphic designer primarily, and often work straight to screen, but after having my first daughter I found myself getting back to drawing and enjoyed being more hands on. I began to draw the nature around me and form patterns with the hand drawn elements. This soon progressed to me trying lino block printing. … Continue reading "Meet the Maker: Susie Hetherington"
- My name is Jane Dignum and I am a printmaker living in York, North Yorkshire. Although I like to try out lots of printmaking techniques, I tend to focus on Linocut and I also make collages from pieces of my prints. The city of York and the county of Yorkshire are great sources of inspiration … Continue reading "Meet the Maker: Jane Dignum"
- We were extremely lucky to be joined by Mississippi-based woodcut printmaker Sean Starwars in our Sussex studio on the 4th of July. Sean joined us for an artist’s talk, demonstration and workshop in which participants could print a woodblock or linocut t-shirt using Speedball Inks! Sean achieved his MFA in Printmaking from Louisiana State University … Continue reading "Meet the Maker: Sean Starwars"
- As a pattern-maker, textile printer and natural dyer – Sarah Burns is passionate about slow, local production that creates beautiful fabric and is kind to our environment. We’re excited to have Sarah in the Handprinted Studio teaching Block Printing with Natural Dyes on Wednesday 20th and Wednesday 27th November 2019. Describe your printmaking process. I … Continue reading "Meet the Maker: Sarah Burns"
- We’re Lucy and Patrick of YUK FUN. We’re based in Portslade (on the outskirts of Brighton) in our home studio. We design and make clothing, prints, stickers, tote bags and more… Describe your printmaking process. We are screen printers! We print our designs on to T-shirts, tote bags and sweatshirts. Our home set up is … Continue reading "Meet the Maker: YUK FUN"
- I am Hugh Dunford Wood, aged just 70, and I have been an artist/designer all my working life. I paint landscapes & portraits, I sculpt in strap steel and sometimes in neon; I throw pots and plates for my own use and I do a bit of graphic work such as hand drawn invitations and … Continue reading "Meet the Maker: Hugh Dunford-Wood"
- Hello! My name is Kiran and I’m a pattern designer based in Leicester. Describe your printmaking process. My designs start off as lino prints. I carve each design on Japanese vinyl and print them on fabric. How and where did you learn to print? I was born and raised in Singapore where I did my … Continue reading "Meet the Maker: Kiran Ravilious"